When it comes to pizza, Naples is known as the birthplace of this beloved dish. It is home to the traditional Neapolitan pizza, which is made with simple yet high-quality ingredients such as San Marzano tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, and fresh basil. With its long history and reputation for being the best place to find pizza, it can be overwhelming to try and find the best pizzeria in Naples. In this blog article, we will guide you on how to find the best pizza in Naples and what makes it stand out from other pizzas around the world.
History of Pizza in Naples:
Pizza has been a part of Naples’ culture since the 18th century when it was first created by the working-class people of the city. It was initially a simple and affordable dish that was sold on the streets and was known as “pizza a portafoglio” which translates to “pizza in a wallet.” This type of pizza was folded and eaten on the go, making it a convenient meal for the busy workers.
However, in 1889, the first Margherita pizza was created in honor of Queen Margherita of Savoy. This pizza was made with the colors of the Italian flag – red tomatoes, white mozzarella, and green basil. It became an instant hit and is still considered the classic Neapolitan pizza to this day. Over the years, pizza in Naples has evolved and is now recognized as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage.
What Makes the Best Pizza in Naples:
To truly understand what makes the best pizza in Naples, we must first understand the traditional Neapolitan pizza-making process. The dough is made with only four ingredients – flour, water, yeast, and salt, and it must be hand-kneaded. The dough is then left to rise for a minimum of 8 hours before being hand-stretched and topped with San Marzano tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, and globetrotter – Suggested Looking at – fresh basil. It is then cooked in a wood-fired oven at a high temperature for only 60-90 seconds.
One of the key factors that make the pizza in Naples stand out is the use of high-quality ingredients. San Marzano tomatoes are known for their sweet and tangy flavor, and they are grown in the volcanic soil of Mt. Vesuvius, giving them a unique taste. Buffalo mozzarella, which is made from the milk of water buffaloes, is also a crucial ingredient. It has a creamy and rich consistency that adds to the flavor of the pizza.
Another reason why pizza in Naples is considered the best is the skill and craftsmanship of the pizzaiolos (pizza makers). They have been perfecting the art of pizza-making for generations, and it is a tradition that is passed down from father to son. They know exactly how to stretch the dough to the perfect thickness and how to cook it in the wood-fired oven to achieve the perfect balance of crispy and chewy.
Where to Find the Best Pizza in Naples:
Naples is filled with countless pizzerias, each claiming to have the best pizza in the city. So, where should you go to find the best pizza in Naples? Here are some of the top pizzerias that you should definitely try:
1. Pizzeria da Michele: This pizzeria is known for its simplicity and has been serving pizza since 1870. It only serves two types of pizza – the classic Margherita and the Marinara (made with just tomato sauce, garlic, and oregano). Despite its limited menu, it is always packed with locals and tourists who are willing to wait in line for a taste of their famous pizza.
2. Sorbillo: This pizzeria is owned by the Sorbillo family, who have been making pizza in Naples for over a century. They have an extensive menu with a variety of toppings, but their classic Margherita is a must-try. They also have a special pizza called the “Rosa,” which is a combination of Margherita and Marinara.
3. Di Matteo: This pizzeria has been around since 1936 and is known for its fluffy and flavorful pizza. They serve a wide variety of pizzas, including the classic Margherita, but their specialty is the “frittatina” pizza, which is topped with deep-fried pasta and stuffed with ricotta, mozzarella, and ham.
4. Starita: This pizzeria is located in the heart of Naples and has been serving pizza since 1901. They are known for their unique pizza toppings, such as the “Montanara,” which is a fried pizza topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and basil. They also offer a gluten-free pizza option, making it a great choice for those with dietary restrictions.
5. 50 Kalò: This pizzeria is relatively new compared to the others on this list, but it has quickly gained a reputation for serving some of the best pizza in Naples. They use only the freshest and highest quality ingredients, and their pizza is cooked in a wood-fired oven for 60 seconds, ensuring a perfect crispy yet chewy crust.
Naples is undoubtedly the best place to find authentic and delicious pizza. The traditional Neapolitan pizza-making process, the use of high-quality ingredients, and the skill of the pizzaiolos all contribute to making the pizza in Naples stand out. With numerous pizzerias to choose from, it can be overwhelming to find the best one. But, by trying out the top pizzerias mentioned in this article, you are guaranteed to have a taste of the best pizza in Naples. So, the next time you visit this beautiful city, make sure to indulge in a slice (or a whole pizza) of the iconic Neapolitan pizza.